Record Player for Xmas? Need vinyl records? Then visit our REWIND shop in Darlaston, Walsall and bag yourself a bargain. We currentyl have 25% vinyl records, LPs, 12 inch and singles. Open Thursday, Friday and Saturday 10-4pm.
Mindful Gifts CIC have received a lifeline grant from Government’s £1.57bn Culture Recovery Fund. Mindful Gifts CIC has been awarded £13,900 to be used for a range of activities that will include using virtual and interactive videos on social media that will keep people in touch with our unique shop and the memories it contains. We will be introducing virtual videos that will show people how to make traditional items such as rag rugs. #HereForCulture @dcms, @HeritageFundUK @HistoricEngland.
Wearing a face covering lowers the risk of spreading Covid-19 to others through speaking and coughing, new research suggests. Speaking and coughing without face protection exposes people nearby to droplets carrying the virus that could otherwise be stopped by wearing a mask, according to the study. Researchers found someone standing two metres from a coughing person with no mask is exposed to 10,000 times more droplets than someone half a metre from someone coughing and wearing a covering. ‘Therefore, wearing a face mask can really make a difference’ and we have a duty to protect other people as well ourselves.
Methods for prompting a person’s memory
Some people with dementia appear to ‘travel back in time’, reliving memories from when they were younger. They might expect grown up children to be small again, or expect their parents to still be alive, or even revert back in their mind to previous marriages or relationships.
There are cues you can use to help the person with dementia make the connections between the past and the present. The following tips may help to do this:
- Put up photos around the house of important times you were together, such as weddings, birthdays, children’s parties
- Show the progression of time in these photos, so that they show a spouse or partner when young, but also throughout time and how they are now
- Keep a photo album on display with the photos clearly marked with people’s names, the year and the event, following the progression from the past to the present day
- Wear clothes around the house that the person would associate with you; these could include a favourite item of clothing or styles from when you were both younger
- Wear aftershave or perfume that the person associates with you. If they have a favourite perfume or aftershave, encourage its use; often the sense of smell can evoke positive memories when words cannot
Source Dementia UK https://tinyurl.com/yd6o4g4k
Vinyl / records , loads just come in at our Mindful Gifts CIC shop in Darlaston! From 99p!
The last days for Crocheting and Rag Rugging will be 19 and 20 December 2017. We will restart on 16 and 17 January 2017. Try and join us on the 19th and 20th if you can!
Mindful Gifts CIC, Darlaston, would like to say a BIG THANK YOU to all of our Volunteers who have supported us this year so that we can make a difference to people with dementia, their carers and the community! Also, a BIG THANKS to the community who have supported us by bringing in donations , purchasing gifts and attending our activities!