We created this book so that people can document their life stories, preserve memories and leave a legacy behind.
We supply the books to care homes and hospitals across the country, as well as to individuals and this is our bestselling product on our website.
As a ‘not for profit’ organisation and surplus we do make on each sale of the book is reinvested to support the good work we do for people with dementia and older people.
Making your ‘gift of giving’ going wider than the person you are giving the ‘Life Story Book’ to! support us
2616 people accessed our activities and we provided 2400 activity and support hours. Activities we provided included Rag Rug Making, Crocheting and Vintage Tea Parties. We provide 66 volunteer work placements helping to build self esteem…. Service User comments included ” The shop lifts your spirit completely and makes you go home with a smile on your face”… ” We have a lot of laughs and recall a lot of good memories” …
All of our activities are available to be seen at our unique shop which is set in the past. Making us a place where people can visit, ask our advice, try out the activities for themselves or with their loved ones to make sure they are suitable. We would rather not sell an item if we think it isn’t suitable. As a community led organisation we are ethical about what we do rather than in it for the money!
Sandy spent a lot of time looking after everyone else and spent little time on her own needs. She went everywhere with her husband and would never have dreamed of doing something independently for herself. She came to our crocheting session to try it out and soon made many new friends. She also knew how to do rag rugging and put herself forward to help to run a session, teaching people how to make their own rag rugs. Sandy said that she loved coming to the shop and the sessions. She often makes the journey on her own, combining the outing with doings some retail therapy in the town.
Sandy now is a regular visitor to the shop, attending other sessions including sewing and peg dolls. She was invited recently to the Mayors Parlour for afternoon tea together with other people who volunteered at the shop.
Mindful Gifts CIC is a ‘not for profit’ organisation and any surplus that we make on our Ryder’s Annual is reinvested to support the great work we do for people with dementia. This can include doing talks in the community, raising awareness of dementia and reducing the stigma attached to it, visiting schools, and hosting visits to our shop from groups such as the Brownies.
This book was created using the founder of Mindful Gifts CIC ( Vicki Phipps) mothers poems she had written about what wash days used to be like.
When Vicki read the poems, she could picture what it used to be like before we had washing machines, tumble dryers and electric irons. She thought the poems matched with appropriate images would make an ideal reminiscence tool for those who could relate to what washdays used to be like. The book has been purchased by libraries, as well as care homes and hospitals across the country. Vicki suggests to use the book with a bar of carbolic soap, some dolly pegs and Reckitts Blue (Dolly Blue) as these helps to stimulate the different senses which provoke different memories. All of which are available from Mindful Gifts CIC. support us
Just some of the good things Mindful Gifts has done to make a difference!
- Support the environment: Distribute recycled bags made out of unwanted material (Friends of the Earth)
- Recycle and upcycle all donated items (95%)
- Promote unwanted items to be donated instead of going to landfill
- Give value for money and affordable items
- Promote a cohesive community
- Encourage ‘out of town’ visitors to the town
- Support well-being: Create volunteer opportunities
- Run daily activities that enable to learn something new, keep the mind active and encourage social mixing
- Specialise in meaningful activities for people with dementia
- Encourage social mixing across the community
- Give information, advice and sign posting about a range of health-related issues
- Provide a unique facility which prompts memories and a welcoming atmosphere to relax
- Provide a listening ear, help and moral support for people who are worried or are in need of help Safe place to visit Promote improved spoken English language